Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Time Square Adventure...


So today I ventured out, riding the 7 subway to Time Square. But of course being "me", I got lost the moment I step out side the station. It's strange because I'm usually pretty good at directions. For comfort, my mind is laying the blame on the fact that NYC is so new to me. Anyhow, after walking for several blocks (and eyeing one yummy hot dog stand) I decided to stop pretending like I knew where I was going and asked a nice security officer. At last the good man pointed me on the right direction and off to my destination. You know what I just realized...I have yet to explain where I was going. Excuse me, it seems the hours of detective shows and funny cats have muddled my mind. My destination was simple: AMC Empire 25. Yes, I was planning to watch a movie. Not just any movie, but....drum roll...From Prada to Nada

But back to what I was saying. 

So there I am minding my business (and resisting the temptation to pull out my camera) when two tour guides bombard me with pamphlets and discount flyers. Now I know I'm a tourist/newbie, but how do these guys know? Silly question, these men are pro. They probably can smell fresh blood from a mile away. They're like Google Maps (without the misdirections sometimes), pin pointing newcomers. Anyhow, I nonchalantly shook my head, said no thanks and confidently walked on. 

Ok so not exactly, but I did say No and scurried to cross the street before I became roadkill. 
Time square and all its brightness               

One thing, I can say is that Time Square is amazing! All the lights and buildings are just incredible. It's like Las Vegas without the bright Neon lights and the slot machines that only take your money (yes I have a personal vendetta with the machines after I lost 4 dollars). All I wanted to do was snap photos left and right, but I refrained. Plus, I did not want to miss the movie trailers. 

At last I reach the movie theaters and of course its massive. The first floor is where you buy the tickets, which is funny because there's ticket machines on both the left and right, and passing them there's the actual tellers. kind of makes you wonder whether the movie tellers are hoping everyone just buys their tickets on the machines that way they don't have to deal with us.

Three floors at AMC Empire 25     
Anyways, I get my ticket and head up to the second floor, completely thinking that its only two floors in this building. Well I was wrong. There is another floor I have to go. Finally, I get to my seat eager to watch my movie. 

Now some people won't enjoy From Prada to Nada and its adaptation of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, and well let's face it ...its interpretation of the Mexican culture. And you know what, I'm okay with that. I liked it alot. I guess being an english major in under-graduate forced me to accept the fact that cinema rarely gets book adaptations right. I just take them for what they are: interpretations.

So after exiting the movie theater, I decide what the heck. I am a tourist and I need pictures. So I took a snapshot of pretty time square. 

Overall it was great day and the weather was pretty good too. 

Highlight of the day: watching my roommates' cat Squiggy fit in a small box. One of the funniest cats ever!

To one observer to another,  Jenn

~ 0 comments: ~

~ Post a Comment ~

+

Blogger templates

Connect With Us

Texts

Template Hits

Instructions

Recomended

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My Photo
Jennifer Luna is a Medill graduate journalism student at Northwestern University. She is currently the alternative medicine reporter for the Medill News Service Chicago. Here you'll find samples of her professional work, as well as more casual pieces

Blogger Tricks

Blogger Themes

Blogroll

About